Gold: The Best Performing Asset of the Last 3,000 Years?
- Claude Erb
- A version of the paper can be found here.
- Want a summary of academic papers with alpha? Check out our Academic Research Recap Category!
Gold may have been the best performing asset of the last 3000, 2000 and 1000 years. Gold’s long-run real return has probably been close to zero. Gold could very well be the best performing asset of the next 3000 years.
One long term view of gold prices:
And another even longer view:
And the longest view on gold:
So looks like over the LONG-TERM gold maintains it’s value–maybe grows a bit–but comes with massive stomach churning volatility. Relative to other assets, that might actually be attractive. Then again, in the long-run we are all dead anyway.
- The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Alpha Architect, its affiliates or its employees. Our full disclosures are available here. Definitions of common statistics used in our analysis are available here (towards the bottom).
- Join thousands of other readers and subscribe to our blog.
- This site provides NO information on our value ETFs or our momentum ETFs. Please refer to this site.