The investment management business is a major Catch-22: On one hand you need a track record; but to get a track record you need assets.
So if you don’t have assets you can’t get a track record and if you don’t have a track records you can’t get assets.
Luckily, entrepreneurs have found a way to identify up and coming traders who don’t have a track record–tournament competitions!
The idea is simple.
- Identify a pool of capital looking to invest in emerging managers.
- Set up a tournament that attracts a very large talent pool.
- Utilize a 100% transparent competition structure to identify the top talent in the talent pool.
- Allocate to the top talent.
- Rinse and repeat.
Who’s in the Tournament game thus far?
The biggest entrant is Battle Fin. We actually entered this tournament out of curiosity and to our surprise–Won!
But Battle Fin isn’t the only tournament on the block. I’ve run into a couple more very recently:
Have any readers had experience in these tournaments? How was it? Feel free to share.
- The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Alpha Architect, its affiliates or its employees. Our full disclosures are available here. Definitions of common statistics used in our analysis are available here (towards the bottom).
- Join thousands of other readers and subscribe to our blog.
- This site provides NO information on our value ETFs or our momentum ETFs. Please refer to this site.